Friday, August 14, 2009
Featured author - did you know?
Here are some random and totally useless facts about this week’s featured author, Isaac Asimov:
- Asimov died on the 6th April 1992 of heart and kidney failure. When his biography was published ten years later, it was revealed that Asimov had been living with HIV contracted from a blood transfusion performed during his December 1983 triple-bypass surgery.
- The famous and celebrated writer, whose science-fiction novels often described space travel, himself had an irrational fear of flying, which severely limited his ability to travel throughout most of his life.
- Asimov was a teetotaler in his later years.
- He was completely inept at any activity that required motor skills – he never learned to swim or ride a bicycle.
- When he was in the army as a young man he achieved the highest score in his company’s intelligence test, although he got the lowest score in the physical-conditioning test.